Friday, December 4, 2020

Ask The Mask, Issue 1


Welcome to the first-ever issue of our pandemic advice column, Ask The Mask! "The Mask" is a group of middle school students eager to help with your dilemmas related to the pandemic. (Read more here.) If you're a middle school student and would like The Mask to give you advice, please fill out this anonymous form. Okay, on to our first batch of letters!


Dear Mask,


My siblings continue to come into my Zoom screens and distract me while I do my schoolwork. It is really hard to focus with them right there distracting me. They have their own work, and when I distract them back, I always get caught. How do I focus on my work or give payback?


Thanks for the help,

Angry Oldest Sibling

San Jose, CA


Dear Angry Oldest Sibling,


That is a tough situation! I have siblings too, and I also feel upset when they distract me. If I were you, I would kindly ask them to stop. Ask them how they would feel if they were getting distracted while trying to focus on school. If possible, try and separate your workspace from theirs; you could move rooms, close or lock the door, or put up a divider. If all else fails, talk to a parent and have them deal with the situation. If nothing works, then yes, give them payback! My favorite payback is to eat all the cookies in the jar.


Good luck!

The Mask

Dear Mask,

 

I am continuing to be late to my Zoom classes because the links are so confusing and they all look the same. How do I keep them separate and not go to the wrong class?


Sincerely,

Zoom Doomed

San Jose, CA


Dear Zoom Doomed,


There are multiple ways to keep your links organized. One way is to make bookmarks and/or bookmark folders in your browser. In these folders, you can label the class of each Zoom link. You can also use a website like bit.ly to shorten your link and give it a unique name, so like “bit.ly/historyzoom.” However, the link will be public, so anyone can join. Another way is to use a Google Doc with hyperlinks or a notepad to keep your links organized. 


Don’t get lost!

The Mask

Dear Mask,


Being stuck at home is not fun! There is nothing to do except sit on the couch, do homework, sleep, and then repeat. It's like an endless cycle of boredom. Sometimes I am able to go to the store, but that is probably the only time I ever leave the house. All sports are cancelled, and I can feel myself getting lazy. Though I must say that I spend more time with my family while being stuck at home than I ever have. It's nice being able to be together all the time. 


Sincerely,

Bored Girl Stuck at Home

Attleboro, MA


Dear Bored Girl,


Here’s a quote I love from Arthur Schopenhauer: “Boredom is just the reverse side of fascination: both depend on being outside rather than inside a situation, and one leads to the other.” When you're bored, you can get more creative ideas, which can lead to new things to do. Embrace the boredom! I also suggest trying to find new hobbies and interests. And if your parents are okay with it, you can also try to call some friends and get together outdoors so you can socialize with them and even play some sports. If you’re wearing masks, moving around, and always staying at least six feet apart, you should be safe.


Go boredom!

The Mask

Dear Mask,


I have been trying to get revenge on my brother for many months now after he stole my laptop and dropped it from my bedroom window. You may think that him getting grounded for a year would be enough to satisfy me, but it's not!!! I have been planning to wrap my brother up with toilet paper, but all the toilet paper has been running out in the stores. What should I do?!


Sincerely, 

Mummy Monster

San Jose, CA


Dear Mummy Monster,


I can relate to that as well; having a younger sibling can be tough. Although rolling your brother up in toilet paper sounds like fun, maybe you should come at him with a nicer approach. What if you try talking to him to ask why he dropped your laptop out of your window in the first place, so you can prevent it from happening again? If that doesn't work, then try talking to your parents to see if they can help you and your brother come to peace. I hope that helps!


Good luck!

The Mask



Are you ready to write to The Mask? Here's the anonymous form. Check back soon for a new issue of Ask The Mask!


Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on this website are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Almaden Country Day School. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their opinion, and are not intended to replace parental or professional advice.