Sunday, December 13, 2020

Ask The Mask, Issue 2

 

Welcome to the second issue of our pandemic advice column, Ask The Mask! "The Mask" is a group of middle school students eager to help with your dilemmas related to the pandemic. If you're a middle school student and would like The Mask to give you advice, please fill out this anonymous form. We received a ton of letters after Issue 1 was published, so if we didn't get to yours this time, keep checking back because it might appear in a future issue. Okay, on to our new letters!


Dear Mask,


I am struggling in science, but I'm too nervous to ask my teacher a question on Zoom. When I'm in class I can discreetly walk up to the teacher and ask a question, but on Zoom, I have to unmute and talk in front of the whole class. They probably think I'm stupid. What should I do?


Thanks,

Shy Kid

Hartford, CT


Dear Shy Kid,


Asking a teacher can be tough. One option is you can wait for other students to leave the Zoom, and then ask your teacher. Or you can send a private chat to your teacher on Zoom during class. You can use Google Hangouts or Gmail to write to your teacher. Or ask your teacher to make a breakout room or Google Meet for questions if it's not too much trouble. Here’s another thing: There are probably other people in your class with the same question, so if you do ask your teacher out loud, your peers will think you’re brave, not stupid. But if you still don’t feel comfortable, hopefully you can use these other options.


Discreetly yours,

The Mask

Dear Mask,

 

I have been really struggling with theater. It's something I love, and can't do because of COVID-19! I have been doing theater since I was like four. It’s part of my family, and life. My brother was even on Broadway! I have done a few Zoom musicals, but it isn't the same. It's hard doing theater online. Theater is one of the best ways to make and talk to friends, but in Zoom, it's hard to do that. I wish things were back to normal. What can I do to cope with this?


Sincerely,

Frustrated Thespian

Carlsbad, CA


Dear Frustrated Thespian,


I am so sorry to hear this. Many of us have had to stop our favorite sport or activity. I have a few suggestions. You could try writing your own musical! Try giving some parts to your theater friends and your family, and you can get people to watch on Zoom and do a big performance all together on Zoom yet still apart for safety. Things will get back to normal or some sort of normal eventually, and hopefully soon. But because we still don't know when, if there is something else you have shown interest in, now could be a great time for you to try that. I understand that theater is your main hobby, so I hope you’re able to get back to what you love most as soon as it’s safe.


Break a leg!

The Mask

Dear Mask,


I was so mad when I found out I could not go out to the mall with my friends. I had asked my mom, and she said no because it is too risky. I just wish things would be how they used to be, when Covid-19 wasn't a thing. All I wanted to do was go hang out with them. That weekend they all went to the mall and I had to stay home. I worry that this might happen again in the near future.


Sincerely,

Mad Teenage Girl

Attleboro, MA


Dear Mad Teenage Girl,


You are not the only one going through this. There are lots of other kids not being able to see their friends in public spaces, and it’s okay. There are other ways you can keep in contact with friends. You can talk on FaceTime and text each other. If your mom is okay with it, you can meet outside at a friend's house and social distance and talk with masks on. Your mom knows best, and what she says goes. She is only trying to help you and make sure Covid doesn’t get brought into your house. You just have to cope with it and follow all the health and safety recommendations.


Don’t stay mad!

The Mask

Dear Mask,


All my friends are temporarily online (until January), while I am coming to campus. Recess now consists of aimlessly walking around the blacktop until the whistle blows. What should I do?


Sincerely,

Lonely Middle Schooler

San Jose, CA


Dear Lonely Middle Schooler,


Your situation sounds upsetting. If I were you, I would try to find some new people to hang out with when you’re at school. I'm sure people would be willing to include you! There might even be a few other people in your situation, with their own friends all online. Find people with similar interests and ask if you can play a game with them. Try different activities at recess, like Foursquare or Basketball. You can also try to make new friends when you do group work in class. You can still stay close with your online friends after school and over FaceTime or Zoom.


Don’t wait for the whistle!

The Mask

Dear Mask,

I'm really thankful that I've been able to return to school in-person. My best friend is full time at home, so I barely see them anymore. We've been really close for about 7 years now and I'm feeling anxious that we're drifting apart. I know they still consider me their friend, but I've noticed that they're calling and hanging out with other people who are also online. I completely understand and support their other friendships, but I'm starting to worry that they're getting closer with them than with me. I can still call and text this friend, but it's been feeling awkward and it happens less frequently. Any ideas of what I could do?


Sincerely,

Worried Friend

San Jose, CA


Dear Worried Friend,


This must be hard to deal with. I've also had friends who at one point I was really close to and then we drifted apart. I wish we hadn't. I have some tips for how to make sure that you and your friend don't drift apart. It's hard to hang out in person, as we all know. Even though it seems awkward, try your best to make a fun conversation, or try watching a movie you both enjoy on FaceTime. Hanging out with them, even online, will ensure that you two will stay connected. I too have a friend who started to hang out with some other people. At first I thought she was leaving me forever, but I then realized that it's good to have multiple friends. And remember that this pandemic won’t last forever, and the awkwardness is just temporary. I know you can do it!


Sincerely,  

The Mask



Are you ready to write to The Mask? Here's the anonymous form. Check back soon for a new issue of Ask The Mask!


Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on this website are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Almaden Country Day School. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their opinion, and are not intended to replace parental or professional advice.