Saturday, January 9, 2021

Ask The Mask, Issue 4

Here's the second part of our double issue for the new year. The first few letters in this issue all bring up a theme we've been noticing in many letter submissions: a worry that people are growing more distant from each other during the pandemic. We hope that our advice helps not only these letter writers but also everyone who reads this!

Dear Mask,


During quarantine, life was pretty good. All of my friends would FaceTime and watch movies and play games. But now all of my friends just want to go to the mall and hang out, even with Covid still raging. My mom allows me to go, but I am a bit of a hypochondriac and I don't feel comfortable going. This has caused my friends and me to drift, and I just don't know what to do. I still hang out with them over FaceTime, but that is becoming less often, and now I feel like my friends are just leaving me.


Sincerely,

Friendless Frenzy

San Jose, CA


Dear Friendless Frenzy,


I know how you feel about this Covid situation. I respect that you are very careful at a time like this. One thing I definitely suggest is trying to FaceTime your friends as much as possible. I think you should express how you feel about this situation to them, including your anxieties about your health. If they don’t understand or try to spend time with you online, then it might be time to make new friendships.


Hope this helps!

The Mask

Dear Mask,


One of my best friends, who I have been friends with for almost three years now, has been really rude to me this year. She always calls me mean names and doesn't know when she is hurting my feelings. I go home and cry sometimes, and I don't know how to tell her that I am upset.


Sincerely,

Sad

San Jose, CA


Dear Sad,


I definitely know how you feel, and I have been in this situation a few times. How I handled it was first by talking to my friend. I let her know that this could sometimes hurt my feelings and asked her if she could stop. I know it can be hard and nerve-racking when you are trying to talk to a friend about how you feel, but if she truly cares about you and wants to be your friend, she will listen to you. If this keeps happening after you have tried to talk to her about it, try distancing yourself from her a little bit and trying to make new friends. I’m not saying completely stop being friends with her, but try and let her know by putting a little distance between you.


Good luck,

The Mask

Dear Mask,


I have a sister, and she is coming home from college. We haven't seen each other in a long time. I don't know what to do if we don't like the same things anymore.


Sincerely,

Sally Brown

San Jose, CA


Dear Sally Brown,


I bet you miss your sister a lot, and I know you can't wait to see her. I understand you think that it's going to be different. In all honesty, it might. She might have different interests than you do. At the same time, you have probably changed, too, and have different things you look forward to as well. You should try embracing your differences and finding new things you can do together. I'm sure you still want to do some of the same things that you did before. Did you and your sister have a TV show or movie you liked? You could throw a Netflix party and eat some of your favorite snacks. It would be a good way to bond over something you both love. One way to find out what your sister wants to do when you see her is to text, call, or email her and ask her what she’s been up to, what she’s looking forward to when she visits, and questions similar to that. You can then plan from there. I hope you enjoy your time with your missed sister!


Good luck,

The Mask

Dear Mask,


My older brother really wants to play with me! He wants to tackle and rough house, but I never really want to. He does not have very many friends, and I see him on the blacktop at school alone. I don't know what to do. I feel so bad when I let him down, and I don't want to be a bad sister. What should I do?! 


Sincerely,

Stuck Sister

San Jose, CA


Dear Stuck Sister,


You're stuck in a rather difficult situation: You want to help your brother have fun and make new friends. It might seem like you're all alone in this, but you're not. I understand that you want him to feel good about himself and be confident without having to directly help him. If you and your friends are comfortable, invite your brother to tag along with you at lunch. You can introduce him to some people you think he would get along with. If his main goal is to spend time with you, and if your main goal is for him to have friends, it might be a great solution. You seem like an amazing sister who wants to help your brother. He might be older, but he still looks up to you!


Good luck,

The Mask

Dear Mask,


I really miss the old days when I wouldn't need to worry about high school, homework, or anything of the sort. I wish I could just go back to coming home after an easy day of work and watch some cartoons. Advice?


Sincerely,

Child

San Jose, CA


Dear Child,


This is such a tough situation. I wish this sometimes, too, but with everything being chaotic about high school, I can’t. My advice is to try to grind out the work on one day so that you can have the next day to have fun. It might sound a little weird, but it’s a good strategy. You can keep doing this and you will have fun and do your work at the same time. It’s very efficient.


Work hard!

The Mask



Are you ready to write to The Mask? Here's the anonymous form. Check back soon for a new issue of Ask The Mask!


Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on this website are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Almaden Country Day School. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their opinion, and are not intended to replace parental or professional advice.