Saturday, January 9, 2021

Ask The Mask, Issue 5

Happy new year! We've received so many letter submissions recently that we are publishing a double issue this weekend. These letters range from very serious to pretty silly. For those who are visiting for the first time: "The Mask" is a group of middle school students eager to help with your dilemmas related to the pandemic. If you're a middle school student and would like The Mask to give you advice, please fill out this anonymous form. If we don't get to yours right away, keep checking back because it might appear in a future issue.

Dear Mask,


Every time I try to do my homework, my sibling interrupts me trying to play. When I refuse, they start crying and run away. If I accept, I don't get my homework done on time! Please help me find a way to refuse them without hurting their feelings.


Sincerely,

Saddened Sibling

San Jose, CA


Dear Saddened Sibling,


I am sorry to hear that. It looks like you are in a pickle! I have siblings, too, and I know sometimes it can be hard when they interrupt. It seems like your siblings just want to play with you and mean no harm. When they ask you to play a game, ask them if you can pick it out. If they say okay, tell them you want to play the Quiet Game, and whoever wins gets like a piece of candy, so then you get quiet while you work. After homework, find time to play games with your siblings. If this doesn’t work, maybe give them a time frame: “Hey, sibling, I will play with you in x amount of minutes.” One more thing: Your siblings look up to you. Do not forget that. They just want to have fun.


Quietly,

The Mask

Dear Mask,


Recently, my family and I got a puppy that we all take care of, but he is mostly my responsibility. For the past few days, I have been getting 4 to 6 hours of sleep each night, with school the next day, because my dog will wake up in the middle of the night and I will stay with him until he falls back asleep so he doesn't wake up the rest of my family. Once he is asleep, it takes me a while to go back to sleep, and sometimes I don't. Because of this, I have been feeling extremely overwhelmed and exhausted. My parents take him when I go to school, so I feel guilty asking them to help me more, and my sister doesn't like to help me, and more often than not, she won't help me at all because the puppy is not yet trained and has a biting problem. What can I do to relieve some of the stress I have without burdening my family too much?


Sincerely,

Doggy Stress

Los Gatos, CA


Dear Doggy Stress,


I have a dog as well, and he also has a biting problem. We sent him to a trainer to help improve his doggy manners. We also use a crate that he sleeps in. He will cry a bit at first, but he stops within thirty minutes. Maybe you could try taking your dog out once in the morning and once in the early evening. That way, when you are at school, your dog has already gotten some of his energy out, and in the night you don't have to stress about waking up your family and you can sleep. I mean, you have the right to give yourself a break! As your puppy grows up, he will become less energetic. That means it will just get easier from here!


Doggo bro,

The Mask

Dear Mask,


I've been having trouble having a good performance at school. I'm constantly tired and stressed. Is there something I can do about it? 


Sincerely,

Tired School Kid

San Jose, CA


Dear Tired School Kid,


I definitely understand what you are going through. In a time like this, it is very difficult to keep up with your grades. One thing I suggest is asking your teacher for help. This is the best way to make sure you understand the concepts you're learning. And to help with stress, I suggest you try to do something calm. An example is meditation. Meditation helps you clear your mind and relieves a lot of stress. Also, make sure to pay all of your attention to your teacher. I know at a time like this, especially if you are online, it is easy to goof off and go on your phone or something.


Hope this helps!

The Mask

Dear Mask,


I am a Christian, but my friends make fun of me and believe stereotypes about Christians that aren't true. I want to be able to talk to them normally without acting like I don't care about my religion. What should I do?


Sincerely,

Religious Outcast

Easton, MA


Dear Religious Outcast,


This must be hard. There are so many stories and stereotypes going around the internet right now. You should tell these friends what you're feeling. It might be hard, but if you care so much for your religion, I think you should do something about it. Maybe the next time they bring it up, you could say something about how you feel strongly about your religion and you don’t feel comfortable when they talk about it. And if you’re comfortable, you can also explain what you actually believe, instead of the untruths they seem to think you believe. Keep in mind that they also have feelings and believe certain things, as well, so just like they should respect you, you should also respect them.


Stay strong,

The Mask

Dear Mask,


The fact that people are returning to school at this time is unreasonable. Covid will never end at this rate.


Sincerely,

Annoyed 8th Grader

San Jose, CA


Dear Annoyed 8th Grader,


I understand that it can seem like going to school is unsafe and unreasonable. Many schools, including the school where I (and possibly you) go, have taken many measures to make sure the kids stay as safe as possible. Everyone at school is doing their best to wear their masks and social distance, and we have on-campus Covid testing to be sure everyone is healthy. I can assure you that the school would not have the option to go back to school in person if it were unreasonable or putting students in harm's way. But if you don’t feel safe, definitely stay home for now.


In health,

The Mask

Dear Mask,


How can you catch bugs when everything is locked down? Please tell me.


Sincerely,

Bug Master

San Jose, CA


Dear Bug Master.


Collecting and catching bugs sounds like fun, and though it can be hard to be safe while amid this pandemic, I have some tips. If where you usually go to catch bugs is closed either temporarily or indefinitely, try visiting your local park, or some public place, and try to steer clear of people. Wear a mask and stay six feet apart. Even your backyard may have some interesting bugs. This bug collectors website might help you.


Don’t be cruel!

The Mask



Are you ready to write to The Mask? Here's the anonymous form. Check back soon for a new issue of Ask The Mask!


Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on this website are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Almaden Country Day School. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their opinion, and are not intended to replace parental or professional advice.