Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Ask The Mask, Vol. 2, Issue 4

Sometimes, The Mask gives advice the letter writer may not want to hear, as with the first letter in this issue. But that's the job of honest advice columnists, right? The Mask is a group of middle school students eager to help with all your dilemmas. If you’re a middle school student (or a bit younger or older) and would like The Mask to give you advice, please fill out this anonymous form.


Dear Mask,


Every day there is this girl and she grosses me out at lunch. She makes me lose my appetite. I need to tell her to move to another table without hurting her feelings and without getting me in trouble. Because of her, I can’t eat my lunch. She eats with her hands and has super-gross sandwiches, and she chews with her mouth open and plays with her food. And last but not least, she spits and talks.


Sincerely,

Very Hungry Peep

San Jose, CA


Dear Very Hungry Peep,


It can be hard to tell people these kinds of things without hurting their feelings. But the way I see it, this person doesn’t seem to be harming you in any intentional way. She’s sitting and eating her lunch, just as everyone else is. If seeing her eat lunch is putting you off so much, you could try to focus on something else during lunch. Try to strike up a conversation with her! If this doesn’t help you, or you really think you can’t sit with her, you might want to consider moving lunch tables yourself. I don’t think telling her to move is the best solution, because she might want to sit with the other people at your table. If you do move, that’s a sacrifice that you will have to be willing to make for your own comfort. Whatever you do, I hope your future lunches are better.


Politely,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I have a crush on a girl from outside of school, but I also kind of like a girl at school. The girl out of school and I have already kissed, but I don’t know which direction I should go. It’s more convenient to be with the girl at school because the other one doesn’t go to my school. What should I do?


Sincerely,

Simp

San Jose, CA


Dear Simp,


I understand your situation. Many people experience trouble in romantic relationships, so you’re not alone. Regardless of which girl is more convenient to date, I think you should go with your heart. You shouldn’t force yourself to date someone you don’t like as much just because you see them more often. If you like a girl outside of school more, ask her out! 


Hope this helps,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I am having a birthday party soon! My birthday was a few months ago, but I am having it now. I have two friends that I want to invite, but sometimes there is drama between them. They both invited me to their birthdays, so I feel like I should invite both of them. I don’t want to be sad on my birthday, and if I invite only one of them, the other will be mad and jealous.


Sincerely,

Confused B-Day Planner

San Jose, CA


Dear Confused B-Day Planner,


Having close friends who don’t get along can be really hard. My suggestion is that you invite other friends as well, if you can. That way, if it’s not just the three of you, they can have other people to talk to and they won’t need to fight for your attention or interact with each other. Then you don’t have to get involved in their drama and hopefully everyone can have a good time at your party. Alternatively, you could try to help them resolve their disagreements and become friends. This is hard to give advice for because I don’t know their specific situation, and it may be hard for you to do it. But in the long run, this might benefit your friendship much more. Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great birthday party.


Happy belated birthday!

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I’m having trouble memorizing my class schedule. I want to walk into my classroom and just know our schedule. Do you have any tips?


Sincerely,

Upset Memorizer

San Jose, CA


Dear Upset Memorizer,


I completely get how you feel. Many of my friends will come to me and ask what class we have next, so I know you aren’t alone. I memorized my schedule at the beginning of the year, so I have some advice. First, if you have any repeats or similar schedules on different days, try to remember those first. That way, you can memorize one schedule for two or more days. It will also help you feel more accomplished, so you’ll be motivated to continue memorizing your schedule. You can also just try to remember which period you have a certain class. For example, you could start by memorizing which periods you have math class, and on which days. Maybe, if there’s one day when you have that class at a different time, it can also help you remember another class: “Oh yeah, I don’t have math third period on Wednesdays because I have homeroom!” Then you’ll know when you have homeroom. Whichever method you decide, I wish you luck on your schedule memorization journey.


Promptly,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I like this hot dude, he’s so fine. How do I ask him out? Or how do I know if he likes me as well?


Sincerely,

Miss Sweet Tea

San Jose, CA


Dear Miss Sweet Tea,


Ah yes, the universal question: How do I know if they like me back? There are several ways you can go about this, depending on your situation. If you are not close friends with him, then ask him out! There’s nothing to lose. If, however, you are close with this mysterious hot dude, the best plan of action is Truth or Dare. Try your best to get closer to him via text or in person, and casually bring up the idea of playing Truth or Dare. Now, you must be very careful: Don’t ask about crushes or relationships right away. But after the first couple of turns, throw it out there. Hopefully, after some digging, you will know if he has a crush, and even better, if it is a crush on you! After all, maybe he thinks you are so fine as well.


Truthfully,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


My family has been having a hard time making money. How can I help?


Sincerely,

Worried Daughter

San Jose, CA


Dear Worried Daughter, 


I admire how ready you are to help out your family. Unfortunately, due to child labor laws you are not able to get a job until you are 14. Yet there are many other ways you can support your family. Your parents are working hard, so think about what you can do to lessen the load for them by helping out around your house. Some things you can consider doing are cleaning up, assisting them with the dishes, or helping cook meals. Be sure to remind your parents how grateful you are for them and all the work they are doing. Whatever happens, make sure you are always there for your family in any way you can, and I know that they will really appreciate it.


Hopefully,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I moved to Washington to live with my father, and I met this cool and mysterious person. I know one thing for sure: I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him. I met him in biology, and since then he has brought the sparkle to my life. He has saved my life from a moving truck with lightning speed, and he is cold as ice. Sometimes it seems like he understands others so much, almost like he can read their minds. I was hoping to find out what he is. Do you have any advice on how to ask him?


Sincerely,

Mysterious Guy

Forks, WA


Dear Mysterious Guy,


Well, this is a very difficult problem. You need to do something soon, especially if for some reason you began dreaming of him. My main recommendation is to start asking about the little things. For example, try commenting on how pale his skin is or why he never goes in the sun, and make sure to ask how long he’s been 17. If you ever go to a beach party and meet another handsome mysterious individual, it wouldn’t hurt to ask him for information as well. Whatever you do, make sure your undying love will withstand anything he reveals to you about him and his family, even if he refuses to allow you to join his kind.


Team Edward,

The Mask


Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on this website are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Almaden Country Day School. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their opinion, and are not intended to replace parental or professional advice.