Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Ask The Mask, Vol. 2, Issue 6

Before we reveal this week's new letters, it's time for a new teacher problem for you to solve! Here's Mr. Linquist:


If you have advice for Mr. Linquist, please
fill out this formIf we like your response, we might include it in our next issue! You can also continue sending The Mask letters about your own problems using the original form. Last week, Mrs. Burstein shared with us her concern that as a morning person, she has so much “pep” in the morning that her students don’t know what to do with it. Thank you to everyone who submitted ideas! Here are our top five:
  • “Do some exercise in the morning to get some of that pep out, or meditation to calm down a little.” ~ anonymous
  • “Start off the day with a game of charades while you prep the room.” ~ anonymous
  • “Play the Rocky theme and have them do the Rocky climb dance to pump up.” ~ Ms. Papini
  • “Coffee for students to help them compete with your pep!” ~ Mr. Adams
  • “You should be you and have them just deal with it.” ~ anonymous

Okay, now for our new letters:

Dear Mask,


Okay, so my dilemma is that my grades are not so great and parent-teacher conferences are on Friday. I don't want my teachers to bring it up, and I don't want to get into more trouble.


Sincerely,

Concerned Bean


Dear Concerned Bean,


Parent-teacher conferences are for talking about you and how you are doing in school, and unfortunately, that includes your grades. Your parents sound passionate about you doing a good job in school, so having a teacher talk out of the blue about how you are not doing great can be jarring. I recommend talking to your parents in advance. I know this sounds scary, but sit them down, admit that your grades are not very good, and tell them that you will work hard to improve. Hopefully your parents will see how much courage this takes and go easy on you. I believe in you!


Hopefully,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


My older brother can get nervous and anxious sometimes, and when I try to help him he just yells at me like I’m the cause of the problem. I just want to be understanding and helpful. How can I help?


Sincerely,

The Li’l Bro

San Jose, CA


Dear The Li’l Bro,


Getting yelled at is never fun, especially when you have good intentions. I have siblings too, and there are many instances when I wish they would treat me more like a friend rather than like an annoyance. Sometimes there's nothing you can do other than give them some space. If you want to do something nice, try making some cookies or writing your brother a note to leave on his bed. I admire your determination to help. I can tell you are a good sibling. 


Lovingly,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I am a twin and they like my twin more than me. It makes me feel left out. They also invite my twin and not me. I don’t know what to do. Can you help?


Sincerely,

Not the Better Twin

San Jose, CA


Dear Not the Better Twin,


Sometimes the best thing to do is put yourself out there. Hang out with them and try to become closer friends. They may be inviting your twin because they are closer friends with your twin, or perhaps they think you don’t enjoy hanging out with them. Be confident and sure of yourself; don’t hang out in the background because you think people don’t like you. Also, don’t forget you can also make new friends! You don’t need to be in the same friend group as your twin; in fact, many twins have separate groups of friends. I hope you figure things out and enjoy your friendships.


In friendship,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I've been wondering a lot about Science Camp. I’m wondering what type of outdoorsy stuff would we do, what activities we would do, and so on. I'm pretty excited but nervous. Since I've never been camping before, could you give me some tips for me, please?


Sincerely,

Non-Very Camping Girl

San Jose, CA


Dear Non-Very Camping Girl,


It’s stressful to go away for the first time. Your first night may be a little difficult at first because your loved ones aren’t around. But once you get past the first night, I bet you’re going to feel a lot better. I remember the first time I slept away from home. My parents had to drag me out of the house like I was some kind of stone. But in all seriousness, just try your best to enjoy it. If you are nervous about some of the things you might be doing, I recommend asking a teacher or older student about what it’s like. Trust me, there are plenty of fun activities. Although it may seem like a daunting challenge, believe me that you will have a great time and enjoy yourself. You won’t regret this experience no matter what comes your way.


Campily,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I find comparing myself to my friends is what my brain wants, and it’s usually like if my brain wants me to do something, I do it. I also feel forgotten when some of my friends do stuff I can’t, like have a phone. I feel left out. What do I do?


Sincerely,

Sad Friend

San Jose, CA


Dear Sad Friend,


When I was in elementary school, I was told I couldn’t get a phone until I was in high school. It was hard to see other kids with phones. But as I got older, I also realized the trouble that came with a phone: having to carry it around all the time, dealing with spam, and getting sucked into your phone all day, causing you to miss some fun opportunities to connect with people in person. I totally get wanting to have a friend’s number. If you have access to a computer or tablet, I would recommend getting an email account or a Messenger for Kids account so that you can still text your friends without a phone. It is hard to go through life without comparing yourself to others, but sometimes it's worth it to be a little different.


Ring ring,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I love climbing trees. It's my passion, and not to brag, but I'm pretty decent at it. But when I climb trees and get more than 10 feet up, my mommy starts yelling at me and tells me to get down. I know she's trying to keep me safe, but she frequently holds me back from my passion even though I'm fully aware I will probably break my leg or neck or get a mild severe concussion. I’m also very careful and make sure the tree is good.


Sincerely,

Girl Who Likes to Climb Trees

San Jose, CA


Dear Girl Who Likes to Climb Trees,


This is a very difficult predicament. Here are a few options that might help. To quench your need to climb, feel free to ask your mommy to take you to one of the many rock climbing gyms in the area. If your need for trees is just too strong for a substitute such as rock climbing, you can ask your mommy if you can climb trees as long as she watches you and chooses which tree you climb. If she is still very stubborn about your tree climbing, talk to your mommy and try to come up with a compromise. Perhaps you can negotiate up to 15 feet high rather than ten! If all else fails, you may feel tempted to resort to threats, like stealing your mommy’s phone, climbing up a tree, and telling her that you’ll drop it if she doesn’t let you climb trees. However, that is unlikely to result in a ticket to the next tree-climbing olympics.


Higher!

The Mask



Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on this website
 are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Almaden Country Day School. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their opinion, and are not intended to replace parental or professional advice.