Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Ask The Mask, Vol. 3, Issue 3

Happy new year, one and all! Believe it or not, even though it's 2024, people still have problems. Here are some of them! To get The Mask to give you advice, fill out this anonymous form.

Dear Mask,


I don't know anybody, and I'm not friends with anybody in my electives, and it makes me feel grumpy and frustrated. Help?


Sincerely,

Garlic Bread Monster

San Jose, CA


Dear Garlic Bread Monster,


Not knowing anybody is very hard. I came to ACDS not knowing anyone, and it took a little while to get comfortable. Electives are supposed to be fun. I would suggest starting conversations with people, and not only in your grade because electives are a chance to connect with people in other grades. Maybe you can use ice breakers with your peers, like the allergy game, or talk about experiences you’ve had based on the elective. For example, if your elective is about cooking, start a conversation about a cooking experience you’ve had. Then you can build friendships with your peers and be in a better mood.


Garlic is yummy,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I have a really big crush on this boy. He really hates me, but I really like him. He is leaving this year and I want to tell him I like him, but I also don't know if I should.


Sincerely,

Confused Crusher

San Jose, CA


Dear Confused Crusher,


This is a tough situation to be in. If you really think that he hates you, try to find a way to demonstrate your good qualities. You could take a risk and tell him that you like him. The worst thing that could happen is that he might not like you. But even though he is leaving next year, you could still have a really good six months with him. If I were in your position, I would definitely tell him that I like him. I know this is very scary, so I wish you the best of luck.


Lovingly,

The Mask


Dear Mask,

This year is a disappointment. I was hoping to spend a lot of time with this friend I’m trying to make, but the school for some reason made it so that we don’t have any classes together. Why? I just wanted to have a good school year! Could you please make a solution besides hanging out with him at recess?


Sincerely,

Separated Friend

United States


Dear Separated Friend,


I know what you’re going through. I too was very upset when I didn’t end up having any classes with my friends, and I thought it would ruin my school year. But I quickly realized that having classes with people I don’t hang out with can actually be fun. For example, I had no friends in my math class this year but I ended up getting to know a bunch of the people in the class, and now I really enjoy it. I know you are disappointed that you can’t see your friend during class, but one solution is to hang out with him outside of school. Maybe go see a movie, or stay in touch with him over text if you have phones. If all else fails, there’s always… recess.


Socially,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I've been down here in my basement for three days, without food. Yet I can't make myself go back up. Not when Taylor Swift songs are still playing everywhere. Wherever I went above ground, I heard "Cruel Summer" or "Anti-Hero" or some other song, I'm not sure. They all sound the same. I had to take a break, so I hid in my basement. I need food and water. Is it really worth it to go back up there and hear that artist one more time? Please help me; I don't know how much longer I can stand it.


Sincerely,

Taylor Swift Hater


Dear Taylor Swift Hater,


Let’s face it, you are going to be down there for a while. Luckily, I am an expert in wilderness survival. So, here are my top three tips for surviving off the natural resources of the common basement ecosystem: (1) Find a reliable source of food and water. Personally, I have stored all of my apocalypse supplies in my basement. If you were not as prepared as I was, you can start feeding off the small goldfish crumbs and water spills on the floor. (2) Build a shelter. You will be down there for quite some time, so you need somewhere to sleep. Take all of the cardboard boxes in your basement and stack them on top of each other to create a shack. (3) Make a fire. During the cold months of winter, it can be hard to stay warm. Search the basement for matches, and light a small fire with more of the cardboard. Obviously fire can be dangerous, but if you find that your clothes have caught fire, just shake shake shake, shake it off, shake it off…


Fearless,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I like a boy.


Sincerely,

Little Girl

San Jose, CA


Dear Little Girl,


Kiss him.


Lovingly,

The Mask


Dear Mask,


I don’t know if hot dogs are a sandwich or not.


Sincerely,

Confused Eater

San Jose, CA


Dear Confused Eater,


This is a serious problem. The definition of a hot dog is “a frankfurter heated and served in a long split roll.” Some people argue that a hot dog refers to the sausage itself, but that’s not what the Oxford dictionary says! Depending on how you eat a hot dog, it may not be a sandwich. In my correct opinion, if the bun is broken in half, it’s a sandwich because there are two pieces of bread on either side. Yet if the bun is one big piece of bread, not broken into two, it’s not a sandwich. If it’s a whole bun that’s toasted, you’re eating a really weird piece of toast.


Now I want a hot dog,

The Mask



Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on this website are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Almaden Country Day School. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their opinion, and are not intended to replace parental or professional advice.